Detox Red Lentil Soup
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with Zyliss garlic press
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 red chilli pepper, finely chopped
- 1 thumb ginger, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 300g carrots, roughly chopped
- 100g (1/2 cup) red lentils
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3tsp smoked salt (or normal salt)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- A bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Optional: toasted almond flakes and dairy free yoghurt for serving
Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil a big saucepan and fry the onions over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until just softened. Add crushed garlic along with turmeric, paprika, chilli, ginger, celery and carrots and cook for a further 5-7 minutes to allow the flavours to mingle.
Add red lentils, vegetable stock and bay leaves, season with salt & pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Blend the soup until smooth by using a hand blender. If the soup is too thick, add hot water (a little at a time) to achieve the desired consistency. You might also want to adjust the seasoning at this stage.
Serve with a dollop of dairy free yoghurt, toasted almond flakes and fresh coriander.